These grants take the form of a so-called “sandwich” scholarship: the candidate obtains a scholarship for maximum 24 months to work within 48 months on an alternating basis on the PhD at Ghent University (‘North’) and at the university or research centre in a developing country (‘South’). Only for the periods the scholarship holder works at Ghent University the scholarship holder will receive a monthly income. The rest of the PhD research is done in the partner university, for which no funding is provided through this scholarship. For this part of the PhD research students must prove that they will be financed at their home university (e.g. full-time PhD scholarship or salary).
About Ghent University
Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium. Our 11 faculties offer more than 200 courses and conduct in-depth research within a wide range of scientific domains. Ghent University Global Campus is also the first European university in Songdo, South Korea.
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Ghent University scholarship is going on.
Special Research Fund - Doctoral Scholarship
- OrganisationGhent University
- Country to study
- School to study
- Course to study
- Application Deadline
February 2, 2023
Aim and Benefits of Special Research Fund - Doctoral Scholarship
Requirements for Special Research Fund - Doctoral Scholarship Qualification
- Candidates need to come from – and have the nationality of – a developing country (see country list)
- The proposals must be jointly submitted by a candidate, a supervisor (promoter) at Ghent University and a supervisor at the partner university (South)
- No restrictions are imposed on the field of research, nevertheless preference will be given to topics that are relevant for development
- Only degree students (students who intend to obtain a (joint ) PhD degree at Ghent University) are welcome to apply. Exchange students cannot apply for this scholarship
- Ghent university wants to encourage more female researchers to apply for this scholarship. That is why a Ghent University supervisor can support maximum 2 candidates per call on condition they are of a different gender.
Application DeadlineFebruary 2, 2023
How to Apply
- Application forms must be submitted (in English) electronically via e-mail to [email protected].
- Alongside the application form, the Ghent University supervisor must also submit the following 2 documents:
- An advice on the candidate, stating the supervisors opinion on the capability of the candidate as a future researcher.
- An advice on the ethical and biosafety context of the proposed research project
For more details, visit Ghent University website.