AGRA has announced the opening of applications for the second cohort of the Centre for African Leaders in Agriculture (CALA)’s Advanced Leadership Programme. Designed for rising stars and established executives from across Africa’s agriculture sector in government, the private sector, and civil society, the programme is the continent’s premier leadership programme tailored for developing leaders to advance sustainable agriculture sector priorities. The programme’s application window, which is open from April 19 to June 3 2022, will result in the selection of 80 top applicants from eight focus countries – Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda.
CALA’s Advanced Leadership Programme will support food security champions and leaders to:
- Be recognised as a delivery-oriented and collaborative leader driving tangible change at the country-level
- Advance country-level flagship programs and policies to achieve progress toward agriculture transformation
- Network & drive cross-sector collaboration to advance sustainability and food security objectives
- Enhance leadership skills in environmental sustainability through exposure to agro-ecological principles, climate change adaptation and environmental and social management (ESMS), each recognized as contributing to sustainable farming, food production, and resilient food systems in the face of increasing climate change impacts.
About Centre for African Leaders in Agriculture (CALA)
The Centre for African Leaders in Agriculture (CALA) supports sector leaders to deliver on top national priorities in African agriculture and nutrition security. These leaders represent the wide range of key actors from across government, private sector and civil society.
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Centre for African Leaders in Agriculture (CALA) scholarship is going on.
Advanced Leadership Programme
Aim and Benefits of Advanced Leadership Programme
Participants’ fees are fully sponsored through support provided to AGRA by the German Development Cooperation through KfW Development Bank. This will include travel costs for all Leadership Forums and graduation events from 2022. Participants are expected to meet their own costs of internet access, as the 2021 leadership forum will be virtual in compliance with COVID-19 restrictions. Please note, attendance fees for AGRF 2021 will be fully self-sponsored (or supported by your institution) and CALA does not provide for per diems for attendance.
Certificate & Recognition
- Graduates of the programme will receive a certificate in Advanced Leadership Programme for Africa’s Food Security & Sustainability
- Be recognized as delivery champions across AGRA’s prestigious continental platforms and events, including at the national level
- Join an esteemed network of transformative leaders providing peer support for continuous achievement of country priorities
Requirements for Advanced Leadership Programme Qualification
Leaders implementing country-level agriculture efforts:
- Established or emerging leaders working in government, private firms and associations, or civil society organizations who are responsible for driving agriculture flagships and priority programs.
- Must be actively employed or working in government (public sector), private sector and civil society (associations or civil society organizations)
- 2 initial cohorts will be formed from participants from the following countries: Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda.
Special consideration will be given to:
- Women leaders
- Individuals working to advance agro-ecological practices.
Interview date, Process and Venue for Advanced Leadership Programme
The 16-month leadership programme for experienced professionals will include a unique learning approach to developing participants’ leadership, collaboration and management skills, through the following experiences:
- Virtual and in-person (when possible) learning events to hone leadership skills for delivery
- Action Learning Projects connected directly to the participants’ job objectives and country transformation objectives
- On-the-job and in-country coaching
- Regular peer accountability sessions
- Participation in bi-annual leadership forums
- Participation in the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF)
- Exposure to case studies of ‘Game-changers’ in African agriculture
- Virtual and in-person peer-learning and networking with cohorts of participants from across the continent.
Application DeadlineJune 3, 2022
How to Apply
For more details, visit CALA website.