This programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of good governance and to prepare them in a praxis-oriented course for their professional life.
Very good graduates with a first university degree get the chance to obtain a master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance to the social, political and economic development of their home country.
The knowledge and experience acquired in Germany should enable the scholarship holders to later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social differences.
In addition, the training at German institutions of higher education should qualify the scholarship holders to become partners in the political and economic co-operation with Germany.
About German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
DAAD scholarship in Germany is a private, federally funded and state-funded, self governing national agency of the institutions of higher education in Germany, representing 365 German higher education institutions (100 universities and technical universities, 162 general universities of applied sciences, and 52 colleges of music and art) . The DAAD itself does not offer programs of study or courses, but awards competitive, merit-based grants for use toward study and/or research in Germany at any of the accredited German institutions of higher education. It also awards grants to German...... read more
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) scholarship is going on.
Helmut-Schmidt Masters in Public Policy and Good Governance Scholarship Programme
Aim and Benefits of Helmut-Schmidt Masters in Public Policy and Good Governance Scholarship Programme
- Scholarships (of currently € 861 per month) for master´s degree courses at German higher education institutions.
- Academic education in the courses of study selected by the DAAD that are listed below, will take place from September/October 2023. The courses of study have an international focus and are offered in German and/or English.
- Health insurance cover in Germany
- Appropriate travel allowances for travel between Germany and the developing countries in question and Germany
- A study and research grant
- Rent subsidies and family supplements, as applicable
Requirements for Helmut-Schmidt Masters in Public Policy and Good Governance Scholarship Programme Qualification
- The scholarship scheme is open to graduates in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration from Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Southeast Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine.
- The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries.
- The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
Interview date, Process and Venue for Helmut-Schmidt Masters in Public Policy and Good Governance Scholarship Programme
The main DAAD criteria for selection are the following:
- the study results so far
- knowledge of English (and German)
- political and social engagement
- a convincing description of the subject-related and
- personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit when returning to the home country.
- The latest university degree should have been obtained during the six years prior to the application for the scholarship.
- Applicants cannot be considered if they have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of application.
All master´s courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
Application DeadlineJuly 31, 2022
How to Apply
Applications have to be submitted in German or English. Please indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Programme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance).
For more details, visit DAAD website.