Latitudes CuratorLab is a practice-based, online curatorial residency for emerging curators in Africa. In 2023, ten aspiring curators will be guided through a facilitated online residency, designed to offer practical experience in the industry and to hone their curatorial skills.
Here at Latitudes, we know that programmes focused on fostering professional practice skills for young curators on the continent are slim. For the second iteration of CuratorLab, we are extending our reach to offer the opportunity to Curators from not only South Africa, but Botswana, Ghana, Nigeria, Namibia and Mozambique too. No formal training is needed and practical curatorial experience is preferred.
About Latitudes CuratorLab
Latitudes CuratorLab is a practice-based, online curatorial residency for emerging curators in Africa. In 2023, ten aspiring curators will be guided through a facilitated online residency (running January to April), designed to offer practical experience in the industry and to hone their curatorial skills
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Latitudes CuratorLab scholarship is going on.
Latitudes CuratorLab Online Residency
Aim and Benefits of Latitudes CuratorLab Online Residency
As one of 10 curators selected for the RMB Latitudes CuratorLab, you will be offered the following opportunities:
- Plan and conceptualise your own show, centred on artists from your community, that will be hosted on Latitudes Online
- 1-on-1 mentorship by a highly recognised curator in the industry as well as with Latitudes curators
- A curator profile on Latitudes where you may promote, exhibit and sell your own selection of works
- Networking and peer-review sessions with curators from the continent
- Curatorial professional practice sessions and handbook
- All of the above will be conducted in 7 online sessions hosted weekly
As part of the programme, you will be offered the following professional practice skills while curating your show:
- Understand the industry on the continent and the diaspora
- Curatorial professional practice; including proposal writing, the conceptualisation of curatorial statements, catalogue and pricing structures and managing relationships
- Getting out there, marketing yourself as a curator
- Digital curation development
- Key administrative skills
- Free curators profile on Latitudes Online
- Comprehensive marketing campaign and exposure to our database of over 15,000 newsletter readers
- Commission on all artworks sold as well as logistic and administrative support
- R1500 stipend to cover data costs
- Plus you get to keep and update your profile as long as you like!
Requirements for Latitudes CuratorLab Online Residency Qualification
- Curators from South Africa, Botswana, Ghana, Nigeria, Namibia and Mozambique.
- No formal training is needed and practical curatorial experience is preferred.
Application DeadlineJanuary 12, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Latitudes CuratorLab on bvzk946fqit.typeform.com
For more details, visit Latitudes CuratorLab website.