The Graduate School of Economic and Management Sciences' call for applications is open from the 13th of June to 1 August 2022 and will recruit for full-time PhD scholarship positions, funded by the Graduate School to a maximum of R138 000 per year for three years. The Graduate School allocates these scholarships by considering each application on its own merit.
About Stellenbosch University
Stellenbosch University (SU) is home to an academic community of 29 000 students (including 4 000 foreign students from 100 countries) as well as 3 000 permanent staff members (including 1 000 academics) on five campuses. ?The historical oak-lined university town amongst the Boland Mountains in the winelands of the Western Cape creates a unique campus atmosphere, which attracts local and foreign students alike. On the main campus, paved walkways wind between campus buildings – some dating from previous centuries; others just a few years old. Architecture from various eras attests to the soun... read more
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Stellenbosch University scholarship is going on.
Stellenbosch University GEM Scholarships
Aim and Benefits of Stellenbosch University GEM Scholarships
- Prospective students may apply for full scholarships, which amounts to at least R138 000 per year for three years.
Requirements for Stellenbosch University GEM Scholarships Qualification
Candidates must meet the minimum criteria to be considered for a scholarship:
- A candidate has to meet the minimum criteria for admission to a PhD at Stellenbosch University. This requires a master’s degree in the relevant discipline or, in exceptional circumstances, an equivalent qualification.
- Candidates must have achieved a grade of 65% in their master’s programmes.
- Candidates must be under forty years of age when the programme commences in January.
- Only applications in one of the Faculty’s Research Themes will be considered.
- All students who meet the below criteria will be considered.
Interview date, Process and Venue for Stellenbosch University GEM Scholarships
Selection Criteria: The Graduate School allocates these scholarships by considering each application on its own merit.
Application DeadlineAugust 1, 2022
How to Apply
- Follow these steps to apply for the 2023 cohort of the Graduate School:
- Read the criteria for eligibility stated above.
- Download and fill in the Application Form GEM_2022-Application.docx
- You will be required to write a letter motivating your suitability for the scholarship (maximum length: one A4 page), as well as a research concept note (no maximum length) on one or more selected research topics or problems which you intend to study in the course of your doctoral programme. These should be completed on the application form in the relevant sections.
- Please consult the 2022 Research Themes to guide you in choosing a research topic. Research topics outside the listed research themes can be accommodated only if it falls within the current research themes that are active in one of the Faculty's academic departments.
- Please note that scholarships can only be awarded where the Faculty is able to appoint a suitable supervisor for the topic to be studied.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee entry. There are limited scholarships available and awards are made on a competitive basis.
- The Graduate School reserves the right to not award any scholarships.
- Please ensure that your three references are informed that their referee reports stating your capability to complete doctoral studies should be sent directly to the Graduate School via email ([email protected]) on or before 1 August 2022.
- Send your completed application form electronically to: [email protected]
- Any queries regarding the application process can be sent to [email protected].
For more details,visit Stellenbosch University website