Queen Mary College was founded in the nineteenth century to provide education to working class people living in Londonï¿½s East End. It originated from the Peopleï¿½s Palace Technical Colleges, which opened in 1887 and were funded by the Draperï¿½s Company. Opened by Queen Victoria, the Peopleï¿½s Palace provided evening classes, a library, reading rooms and social activities. Its purpose resonates with Queen Mary today. It existed to provide education to people from all backgrounds and as ï¿½a place where people of all classes and conditions congregateï¿½, it promoted diversity.
In 1896, the Peopleï¿½s Palace Technical Colleges became the East London Technical College, providing day and evening classes in a range of subjects, including engineering and physics. It also prepared students for entry into the Civil Service and for University of London exams.
In 1905, there was further name change ï¿½ to East London College ï¿½ and a new aim of the institution: to promote higher education in East London. Classes would help prepare students for university or to develop a trade or profession.
Queen Mary College continued to be a progressive institution, with particular strengths in science and engineering as demonstrated by the teaching of Computer Science from 1968, the same year that the institute received its first computer.
It has also led innovation in other areas, for example Professor Sir Roy Goode set up the UKï¿½s first Centre for Commercial Law Studies in 1980.
From 1887 to 1901, the Peopleï¿½s Palace library was located in The Octagon building, designed by the progressive and renowned architect Edward Robert Robson. Inspired by the Reading Room at the British Museum, it is still used for examinations, concerts and graduations.
In 1931, the original Peopleï¿½s Palace was burnt down; the new building was opened by King George VI in 1937.