ETH4D provides grants for mentoring doctoral candidates from low- and lower-middle-income countries. The mentorship is a one-year appointment and comprises the following components:
- Mentorship from one ETH professor, senior scientist or postdoc over a period of one year of the mentee’s doctoral studies. We suggest monthly meetings and clearly defined goals of the project, e.g., presentation at a conference, joint publication. ETH mentors are free to serve on the doctoral committee of the ETH4D mentee, but this is not a requirement.
- Research stay at the mentor’s research group (ETH Zurich, Switzerland) for 1-3 months during the mentorship period.
- Financial support for attending a conference and/or research material
About Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich (ETH Zürich)
ETH Zürich is a public research university in the city of Zürich, Switzerland. Founded by the Swiss Federal Government in 1854 with the stated mission to educate engineers and scientists, the school focuses exclusively on science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Like its sister institution EPFL, it is part of the Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology Domain (ETH Domain), part of the Swiss Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research.... read more
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich (ETH Zürich) scholarship is going on.
ETH4D Doctoral Mentorship Programme
Aim and Benefits of ETH4D Doctoral Mentorship Programme
The grant covers expenses up to a maximum of 15k CHF and includes the following:
- Economy roundtrip ticket (max. 2 kCHF) to and from Switzerland for the research stay
- Visa fees
- Travel allowance to attend an academic conference
- Research material (e.g. lab equipment) (max 6 kCHF in total).
- Fees for health insurance
- Local transportation
- Living allowance for the duration of the research stay at ETH Zurich
Requirements for ETH4D Doctoral Mentorship Programme Qualification
Eligible are doctoral candidates who are registered at a university or research institute in a least-? developed, low-? and lower-?middle-income country according to the DownloadOECD/DAC 2022 list (PDF, 204 KB)vertical_align_bottom.
The application needs to be submitted by the ETH professorship hosting the doctoral candidate. Applications directly submitted by the doctoral candidate will NOT be considered.
Documents Required for Application
- Budget (Downloadtemplate (XLSX, 12 KB)vertical_align_bottom)
- Project description (see criteria document for points that need to be addressed)
- Motivation letter of the doctoral candidate (1 page)
- Most recent university transcripts
- CV of doctoral candidate (max. 2 pages) incl. publications
- Two academic reference letters
- Doctoral project proposal (if available)
- Support letter of the hosting ETH professor, including any financial and in-?kind contributions (in case the mentor is a senior scientist or postdoc, both, the mentor and their professor has to sign the support letter)
Please read the DownloadEligibility Criteria and Application Requirements (PDF, 184 KB)vertical_align_bottom before applying.
All application documents must be written in English submitted electronically
Application DeadlineApril 30, 2023
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich (ETH Zürich) on eth4d.ethz.ch
For more details, visit ETH4D website.