The Japanese Award for Outstanding Research on Development is a competitive research grant program under the umbrella of the Global Development Awards Competition (GDAC), administered by GDN, funded under the Policy and Human Resources Development Fund (PHRD) trust fund managed by the World Bank, and generously supported by the Ministry of Finance, Government of Japan. This award program identifies and funds outstanding research proposals in low- or middle-income countries with high potential for excellence in research and clear policy implications for addressing development issues.
About Global Development Network (GDN)
The Global Development Network (GDN) is a worldwide network of research and policy institutes working to provide new perspectives to the development challenges of our time. A spin-off of the World Bank, GDN works to make policy-relevant research accelerate the pace of global development.The Government of India has granted it the status of international organization.GDN is engaged in research issues related to social and economic development, and encourages researchers by providing financial resources, mentoring support and a platform to share their research.
Ev... read more
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Global Development Network (GDN) scholarship is going on.
GDN Japanese Award for Outstanding Research on Development
Aim and Benefits of GDN Japanese Award for Outstanding Research on Development
- The three winning projects will receive grants worth US$ 60,000. The awards will be given to the researcher(s) whose proposals hold the greatest promise for improving our understanding of development issues and puts forth clear, articulate and well researched policy implications to address relevant developmental problems.
- The first prize winner will receive a grant of US$ 30,000. The second prize and third prize winners will receive a grant of US$ 20,000 and US$ 10,000 respectively. The funds will be used to support the research work proposed by the winners towards the completion of their research. Additionally, awardees will be paired with world-class academic in their area of work who will play the role of a Scientific and Technical Advisor.
- Finalists will be invited to join a communications training in preparation of a pitch of their project in front of a high-level Jury, which will decide which research proposal to award, at a physical event in March/April 2023 (details to be defined) and projects are expected to start in May 2023. In case social distancing policies do not make travelling possible, the event will be held in a virtual setting.
Requirements for GDN Japanese Award for Outstanding Research on Development Qualification
- Researchers from low- or middle-income countries
Interview date, Process and Venue for GDN Japanese Award for Outstanding Research on Development
- Deadline for submissions: 14 November 2022
- Announcement of Eligibility screening results: 21 November 2022
- Announcement of First Level review results (shortlisted applications) and comments from reviewers: 23 December 2022
- Resubmission of the updated application by the shortlisted applicants: 6 January 2023
- Announcement of Second Level review results (finalists) and comments from reviewers: 10 February 2023
- Resubmission of updated applications by the finalists: 17 February 2022
- Announcement of finalists: 17 February 2023
- Announcement of winners: March/April 2023
Finalists are expected to be available for the Communications Training and the physical event for the presentation of their projects to the jury in March/April. The date will be announced in late 2022.
Application DeadlineNovember 14, 2022
How to Apply
For more details,visit GDN website