The Wells Mountain Initiative (WMI) is a public charitable foundation based in Bristol, Vermont, USA, which has been approved under the United States Internal Revenue Service. You are invited to apply for the WMI Scholars Program for students of developing countries.
This Scholarship is generally granted for the full period of study; however, recipients must maintain good grades, participate in community service and meet WMI deadlines for submitting an official copy of school/course grades, completing the semester report.
About Wells Mountain Initiative (WMI)
Wells Mountain Initiative works to create social change through education and community building by providing bright young people in the developing world with student scholarships and skills training, building a network of grassroots leaders who are catalyzing community transformation.
Subscribe for scholarship alert.
Be among the first to know whenever new Wells Mountain Initiative scholarship is going on.
WMI Scholarship Program
Aim and Benefits of WMI Scholarship Program
WMI scholarships range from $300 USD to $3000 USD annually and are provided throughout the undergraduate education of the recipient. While our maximum scholarship is $3000 USD, we rarely award this high an amount. Our average scholarship amount is $1500 USD.
The scholarship may be used for:
- Tuition and fees
- Books and materials
- Room rent and meals
Requirements for WMI Scholarship Program Qualification
Our Ideal Candidate – A student, male or female, from a country in the developing world who:
- Successfully completed a secondary education, with good to excellent grades
- Is 35 or under on March 1, 2024
- Will be studying in his or her country or another country in the developing world*
- Is pursuing his or her first bachelor’s degree or diploma
- Will be enrolled in a program of study that will benefit the community and/or contribute to the continued growth and advancement of his or her home country
- Plans to live and work in his or her own country after graduation
- Has demonstrated his or her commitment to giving back and has volunteered prior to applying
- May have some other funds available for his or her education, but will not be able to go to pursue his or her tertiary degree without financial assistance
Interview date, Process and Venue for WMI Scholarship Program
- December 1, 2023 – The 2024 WMI Scholars Program application will be available on our website. Completed 2024 applications will start to be accepted on this date.
- March 1, 2024 – The 2024 WMI Scholars Program application deadline.
Documents Required for Application
The following are required elements for an application to be considered complete:
- Clear personal photo
- Essay (topic is stated on application form)
- 2024 application form
- Personal essay statement
- Two recommendation letters*
- Official transcript of grades from secondary school
- Official grading key to interpret secondary school grades**
- Official transcript of grades from tertiary studies (if applicable)
- Official grading key to interpret tertiary grades**
- Official results from your national exam
- Official grading key to interpret scores on your national exam**
*Recommendation letters vary throughout cultures. We have created Guidelines for Effective Application-Recommendation Letters to assist applicants in seeking letters that will be supportive of their application. Read this document and share it with the individuals who will be writing your letters of support.
**Official grading keys must be provided by the school issuing the grades or the government issuing the national exam. Grading keys that are not official will result in your application being disqualified. Contact your secondary school, university, or government for this document.
Application DeadlineMarch 1, 2024
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Wells Mountain Initiative (WMI) on apply.mykaleidoscope.com
There are two ways to apply for this scholarship, is either online, or by mailing in a completed application packet to the office.
- For applying online: You are to apply by visiting the application portal where you will be asked to create a free account (username and password), fill out information and upload documents. It is strongly suggested that you apply online as it will provide you with the opportunity to save your work and return multiple times. You will also guarantee that your application, once submitted online, will be received and reviewed. Questions can be directed to [email protected].
- Mail-in: You will need to print the 2024 application form (available December 1, 2023) and it is your responsibility to clearly complete it and attach all required supporting documents before sending it.
For more details,visit WMI website